Tuesday, June 02, 2015
Weekly Kubernetes Community Hangout Notes - May 22 2015
Every week the Kubernetes contributing community meet virtually over Google Hangouts. We want anyone who’s interested to know what’s discussed in this forum.
Discussion / Topics
- Code Freeze
- Upgrades of cluster
- E2E test issues
Code Freeze process starts EOD 22-May, including
- Code Slush – draining PRs that are active. If there are issues for v1 to raise, please do so today.
- Community PRs – plan is to reopen in ~6 weeks.
- Key areas for fixes in v1 – docs, the experience.
E2E issues and LGTM process
- Seen end-to-end tests go red.
- Plan is to limit merging to on-call. Quinton to communicate.
Can we expose Jenkins runs to community? (Paul)
Question/concern to work out is securing Jenkins. Short term conclusion: Will look at pushing Jenkins logs into GCS bucket. Lavalamp will follow up with Jeff Grafton.
Longer term solution may be a merge queue, where e2e runs for each merge (as opposed to multiple merges). This exists in OpenShift today.
Cluster Upgrades for Kubernetes as final v1 feature
- GCE will use Persistent Disk (PD) to mount new image.
- OpenShift will follow a tradition update model, with “yum update”.
A strawman approach is to have an analog of “kube-push” to update the master, in-place. Feedback in the meeting was
Upgrading Docker daemon on the master will kill the master’s pods. Agreed. May consider an ‘upgrade’ phase or explicit step.
How is this different than HA master upgrade? See HA case as a superset. The work to do an upgrade would be a prerequisite for HA master upgrade.
Mesos scheduler implements a rolling node upgrade.
Attention requested for v1 in the Hangout
- Discussed that it’s an eventually consistent design.*
- In the meeting, the outcome was: seeking a pattern for atomicity of update across multiple piece. Paul to ping Tim when ready to review.
Regression in e2e #8499 (Eric Paris)
Asking for review of direction, if not review. #8334 (Mark)
Handling graceful termination (e.g. sigterm to postgres) is not implemented. #2789 (Clayton)
Need is to bump up grace period or finish plumbing. In API, client tools, missing is kubelet does use and we don’t set the timeout (>0) value.
Brendan will look into this graceful term issue.
Load balancer almost ready by JustinSB.